Last night we had turkey meatballs and hidden veg sauce. I haven’t made a hidden veg pasta sauce in years as my children are older and I don’t believe there’s any need to hide the vegetables now (although my 10 year old still pushes courgette round her plate!). However, it’s a great way of getting vegetables into younger children and also it suits people who don’t particularly like the texture of certain foods.
The @morrisons turkey meatballs are a healthy alternative to beef especially if you cook them in the oven rather than frying them. They’re also really convenient if you don’t want to make your own.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 courgette, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 and half 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1) Bake the meatballs in an ovenproof dish (no oil) at 180oC for 20 minutes.
2) While they’re cooking, fry the vegetables in the olive oil.
3) After 10 minutes, add 1 crushed clove of garlic and cook for a further minute.
4) Season, then add the tomatoes and heat through.
5) Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Then blend in a nutribullet or use a hand blender.
6) Pour back into the pan, add the cooked meatballs and heat through.
7) Serve with spaghetti, fresh basil and grated Parmesan.